Cooking with cast iron is a time-honored tradition that dates back to the Han Dynasty in China. That’s nearly 1,900 years ago! With such a long history, it’s no wonder why cast iron is making a comeback. Whether you want to use a dutch oven over a campfire or a skillet over an electric range, cast iron deserves a place in your kitchen.
Want to learn more about how to cook with cast iron, how to clean it, and some tasty recipes to get started? Check out our article on cooking with cast iron.
Ready to sign up? To enter, submit your email below and share this contest with your friends via Email, Facebook, or Pinterest for an extra entry.Insteading March Giveaway
- 2017-02: Algren Soil Saver Compost Bin. Winner: TBA from TBA.
- 2017-01: Spring Garden Prep Kit: Groundbreaking Food Gardens: 73 Plans That Will Change the Way You Grow Your Garden, Certified Organic, Heirloom, Non-GMO Garden Seeds, a Fiskars Big Grip Trowel, and a Gorilla Cart. Winner: Sherry L. from Missouri.
- 2017-12: Fermentation Starter Kit: 1.3 gallon fermenting crock and the book Fermented Vegetables: Creative Recipes for Fermenting 64 Vegetables & Herbs. Winner: Nathan M. from North Dakota.
- 2017-11: Scratch And Peck Chick Starter Kit. Winner: Barbara M. from Arizona & Sandra K. from Arkansas.
- 2017-10: A Set Of Two Giantex Portable Cold Frames. Winner: Melissa S. from Kansas.
- 2017-09: Fall Garden Cleanup Kit: A Fiskars Stand-Up Weeder, a Hori Hori Knife, Pine Tree Tools Bamboo Working Gloves and a Fiskars Kangaroo Gardening Bag. Winner: Barbara S. from Alabama.
- 2017-08: Dehydrator Starter Kit: A 5 Tray Stackable Food Dehydrator by Excalibur, a 400 Recipe Dehydrator Bible, and a 3-Piece Set of Airtight Hinge-Lock Jars. Winner: Anthony G. from New York.
- 2017-07: Ball Canning’s Home Canning Starter Kit: A Ball Canning Starter Kit, Dill Pickle Mix, a 4-Piece Set of Ball Sharing Mason Jars, and the 500+ Precipe Guide to Preserving. Winner: Dave C. from Ohio.
- 2017-06: The Ultimate Drought Fighting Kit: A Heavy Duty Metal Hose Nozzle, a 2.5-Gallon Steel Watering Can, a 50-Foot Rubber Garden Hose by Craftsman, & a 50-Foot Soaker Hose. Winner: Jennifer C. from Massachusetts.
- 2017-05: The Epic Tomato Growing Starter Pack: Set of 4 Heavy Gage Tomato Cages, Assortment of 8 Heirloom Tomato Seed Varieties, & a Copy of Epic Tomatoes Book. Winner: Eileen B. from West Virginia.
- 2017-04: Crown Bee’s BeeWorks™ Cottage Kit: A Cedar Wood Cottage, Trays for Mason & Leafcutter Bees, a “How to” Booklet, & the actual bees themselves. Winner: Katie J. from Washington.
- 2017-03: Baker Creek Heirloom Seed Company’s 25-pack Heirloom Seed Collection & Clyde’s Garden Planner. Winner: Nicole B. from Arkansas.
- 2017-02: Two of our favorite gardening time-savers: A Hori Hori Knife Gift Box and a Steel Frame Dump Cart. Winner: Jean C. from Oregon.
- 2017-01: Two sets of books on permaculture: Gaia’s Garden and The Permaculture City. Winners: Maureen L. from: Oregon & Michael S. from Washington.
- 2016-12: New Country Organics 50 lb bag of Organic Layer Chicken Feed: Supplemented with Kelp, Alfalfa, & Poultry Nutri-Balancer, formulated with additional Calcium & Flaxseed, Soy-free, 7 Certified Organic. Winner: Michael B. from Indiana.
- 2016-11: Bramble Berry’s Natural Soap Making Kit: Soap Making Tools, Reusable Mold, Essential Oils & Natural Botanicals, Lye, Lather & all other soap ingredients. Winner: Rachel B. from Washington.
- 2016-09/10: Home Canning Starter Kit: A Ball Canning starter kit, a copy of Ball Jar’s Complete Book of Home Preserving, a 12-piece set of Ball Mason Jars with Lids and Bands, and a 60-piece set of Dissolvable Jar Labels. Winner: Dora M. from Michigan.
- 2016-07/08: Dehydrator Starter Kit: A Hamilton Beach 32100A Food Dehydrator, The Dehydrator Bible recipe book, and a 3-piece set of Bormioli Rocco Fido Airtight Hinge-Lock Jars. Winner: Carlin S. from Washington.
- 2016-06: Urban Homesteading Starter Library: The Beekeeper’s Bible, Urban Homestead, and The Chicken Whisperer’s Guide to Keeping Chickens. Winner: Marlene B. from Ohio.
- 2016-05: Felco Pruners, Oyster Mushroom Grow Kit, and Practical Permaculture Book. Winner: Nancy W. from Texas.