Earth day is just around the corner, and what better way to celebrate than choosing to make some positive changes in your everyday life!
Whether you want to reduce your carbon footprint, teach your kids about the importance of protecting the environment, or support a company that makes donations to earth-conscious charities, we’ve found 77 things to do on Earth Day.
Earth Day Activities for Kids
1. Build a kid-friendly garden bed.
2. Plant a backyard tree.
3. Create a DIY indoor herb garden.
4. Make an Earth Day pledge.
5. Run a pollution experiment.
6. Upcycle broken crayons into a multi-colored earth crayon.
7. Create an upcycled plastic suncatcher.
9. Make newspaper seed-starting pots and plant them!
10. Make a decorative sign for Mom out of old buttons.
11. Play a recycle-sort game.
12. Talk about the importance of bees.
Yesterday we had a guest speaker and learned all about bees. Lighter the color honey the sweeter it is, the darker color taste more like molasses. Bees can't see the color red. Spray almond extract to keep bees away. Fun activity for kids with pipe cleaner learning how bee legs pollenate the pollen. #bees #honey #tastetest #pollen #beelessons #toddler #toddlerslearning #guestspeaker #agextension #3yrolds #beetips
13. Teach your kids the process of composting with this compost-in-a-bottle project.
14. Run a can-you-undo-water-pollution experiment—spoiler alert: You can’t.
15. Attract butterflies to your garden.
16. Upcycle old CDs into a gorgeous mandala.
17. Plant wildflower seeds in the backyard to attract bees!
18. Have a nature scavenger hunt to get your kids outside and learning.
19. Make these colorful and fun seed papers and remember to plant them!
20. Enjoy the beautiful outdoors on a family hike.
21. Make decorations for the garden that are totally upcycled!
22. Bring new life to old or broken teacups with these crafts.
High School Earth Day Activities
23. Start a compost bin.
24. Build a PVC wind turbine.
25. Create art out of recycled materials.
26. Establish a recycling program at school.
Even though recycling bins have been available at @whitehall.yearling High School (@whitehallrams) for the past 3 years, the bins weren’t regularly used — until now. Students raised money to buy 21 more recycling bins and want their peers to use them more often. Read more about their efforts at ThisWeekNEWS.com/Whitehall (📸 by Lorrie Cecil/ThisWeek) #thisweeknews #hyperlocal #whitehall #ohio #centralohio #columbus #recycling #recyclingprogram #highschool #whitehallyearlinghighschool
27. Switch classroom printers to double-sided to save paper.
28. Clean up a public park.
29. Build a DIY rain barrel for the campus.
30. Upcycle bottles into beeswax candles.
31. Compare light bulbs to learn about the importance of energy efficient bulbs.
Office Earth Day Projects
32. Encourage carpooling and taking public transportation to work.
33. Take lunch at a restaurant that supports local farmers.
34. Plant a rooftop garden.
35. Plan a work-from-home day to save energy at the office.
36. Lights out for the day—save energy costs.
37. Provide each employee with a recycling bin for their desk.
38. Encourage employees to take the stairs! You’ll save energy and get a workout.
Reducing Your Carbon Footprint at Home
39. Calculate your carbon footprint. The results will probably surprise you.
40. Do meatless Mondays for a month.
41. Grow a garden to help reduce CO2.
42. Invest in green energy through your energy provider. If you live in the Puget Sound, PSE offers a green energy program that really doesn’t add all that much to your current bill! Seriously, we didn’t even notice a price increase.
43. Switch out your outdoor lights to solar.
45. Switch your paper bills to online/paperless billing.
46. Pack your lunch in a reusable bag.
47. Pack your snacks in reusable plastic bags. These ones are great!
48. Bring reusable bags when you go shopping. Many places in the U.S. have already banned plastic bags, anyways!
Reducing Your Water Footprint
49. Calculate your water footprint.
50. Buy one of these eco-friendly shower heads to save water.
51. Make it a family goal to turn the water off when you brush your teeth.
Simply by turning off the tap while you brush your teeth in the morning and before bedtime, you can save up to 8 gallons of water! That adds up to more than 200 gallons a month, enough to fill a huge fish tank that holds 6 small sharks! The same is true when you wash dishes. Scrape your dirty dishes into the trash—then put them in the dishwasher. #savewater #awareness #turnoffthetap
52. Switch to a low-flow toilet.
53. Have a family competition to see who can take the shortest showers!
54. Don’t run the dishwasher until it’s full. No half-loads here!
55. Reuse your pasta water! Let it cool, and your plants will love it.
Saved my pasta water from lunch to water my plants. I’m challenging myself to use things as many times as I can before I “dispose” of them!! #zerowaste #pasta #reuse #zeroin #zerowasteliving #sustainability #upcycle #water #wateruse #pastawater #spaghetti #masonjar #eco #green #zerowastelife #spiderplant #plants #houseplants #cleanair #freshair #greenplants #hydrate
56. Invest in a high-efficiency washer.
57. Check your toilet, faucets, tubs, and showers for leaks.
Investing in Your Community
58. Get involved in restoration projects.
59. Establish a community garden.
60. Attend an Earth Day environment class!
62. Host a dinner party that features all local food.
63. Gather up some friends and host a neighborhood cleanup party!
64. Weed community gardens of invasive species and plant native plants.
65. Adopt a tree.
Earth-Conscious Companies to Buy From
66. Earth Play on Etsy—Cute earrings that donate 30% of their profits to animal and earth conservation charities!
Be the voice for Mother nature🌎! Help her save these incredible, intelligent, gentle giants🐘 from the not so bright future they are currently facing. 💪🏽 Every Earth Play purchase will donate ✨30% ✨towards @savetheelephants incredible mission! Help make a difference today! 🌎💪🏽💚 ✨ Wether you make a difference through @earthplay333, donate directly to Save the Elephants mission or simply share our message and spread awareness, you will support the cause to save the elephants! ✨ Lets fight together!💪🏽 • • • • #takeaction #motherearth #savetheelephants #unite #wemustfight #elephant #elephants #jewelryonamission #makeadifference #anythinghelps #share #spreadawareness #donate #charity #saveourplanet #loveelephants #etsyshop #handcraftedjewelry #inspiredbynature #fightingfashion #helpussavetheearth #earthplay #connect2earth
67. Pura Vida—Cute bracelets that support a wide variety of charities, everything from mental health awareness to whales.
Giving back has always been core belief at Pura Vida, which is why we started the Charity Collection! Featured here are our Save the Dolphins, Save the Sea Turtles and 1% for the Planet bracelets! 🐬🐢🌏 Which charity should we support next? Link in bio to shop our site Thanks @courtneysteeves #livefree #puravidabracelets
68. Lush—Next time you get a bath bomb, grab a charity pot! The lotion is great and 100% of the proceeds go to a wide variety of charities.
69. Patagonia—Patagonia donates at least 1% of all corporate earnings to grassroots organizations. And they encourage their customers to not buy new jackets if they don’t need them. Now there’s an interesting concept for a retail company…
Last week, when we announced we’d give 100 percent of our global retail and online Black Friday sales directly to grassroots nonprofits working on the frontlines to protect our air, water and soil for future generations, we heard from many of our customers calling it a “fundraiser for the earth.” We’re humbled to report the response was beyond expectations: With your help, Patagonia reached a record-breaking $10 million in sales. We expected to reach $2 million in sales—we beat that expectation five times over. The enormous love our customers showed to the planet on Black Friday enables us to give every penny to hundreds of grassroots environmental organizations working around the world. Many of these environmental groups are underfunded and under the radar, and they are overwhelmed with your commitment. On behalf of these activists and every Patagonia employee, we extend a heartfelt thank you to our customers, friends and community worldwide who showed up to #LoveOurPlanet. You can learn more about the past recipients of Patagonia environmental grants in your community through the link in our profile. This additional infusion of resources will go a long way toward addressing climate change and other serious environmental issues. The science is telling us loud and clear: We have a problem. By getting active in communities, we can raise our voices to defend policies and regulations that will protect wild places and wildlife, reduce carbon emissions, build a modern energy economy based on investment in renewables, and, most crucially, ensure the United States remains fully committed to the vital goals set forth in the Paris Agreement on climate change. We’re encouraged to see the great interest from so many in making buying decisions that align with strong environmental values—and taking steps to get more directly involved as well. Thank you. #LoveOurPlanet
70. GriffinReynoldsArt on Etsy—Add a cute pin to your denim jacket with this company that donates 10% of the proceeds from its sales to the Pollinator Partnership.
71. automatte on Etsy—Need some artwork? Get this gorgeous print and 50% of your purchase will be donated to the Natural Resources Defense Council
72. DaBombFizzers on Etsy—Kick back and relax with a nice bath, and use a bath bomb that donates 100% of the proceeds to earth conservation charities!
73. Happy Earth Apparel—The cutest casual wear that donates half of their net profits to earth-conscious charities.
Small actions by individuals can often make a huge difference when communities act together. What do you do for our planet? #happyearth #clothesforconservation . 📸: @stephanieyu10 . . . . #wonderful_places #beautifulmatters #watchthisinstagood #welivetoexplore #ourplanetdaily #roamtheplanet #liveoutdoors #earthpix #earthofficial #exploretocreate #staywild #beautifuldestinations #adventureculture #theweekoninstagram #folkscenery #yourshotphotographer #awakethesoul #alpineadventures #awesome_earthpix #wildernessculture #passionpassport #aroundtheworldpix #takemoreadventures #awesome_photographers
74. Tentree—Wanna do a little online shopping and plant some trees? This company plants 10 trees for every item purchased!
75. Sand Cloud—Beach towels that will make a statement and donate 10% of their sales to water conservation.
We want to thank all of our fans for supporting our mission to SAVE Marine Life. Your support allows us to GIVE BACK and #savethefishies. If you are an ambassador, please comment below why you support Sand Cloud. #savethefishies Our 50% off sale ends in less than 3 hours. Click the link in the bio to shop now.
Making Every Day Earth Day
There are lots of small steps we can take that will add up to big changes in the long run. The key here is being consistent and encouraging others to follow in your footsteps!
76. Go through your closet and donate rarely worn clothes to Goodwill, Value Village, or Savers. There are also lots of shelters and charities that would gladly take clothes off your hands.
78. Bring a reusable water bottle everywhere! You won’t have to pay for water, and if you buy the right bottle, your water will stay cold literally all day.
79. And while we’re on that topic, if you’re a daily coffee drinker like me, bring a mug to the coffee shop! Usually, you’ll get some kind of discount, and your coffee will actually stay hot. Because who likes cold coffee?
80. Make it a conscious habit to turn off the lights when you leave a room. It’s simple, but it can be a hard habit to break!