Boathouses. Keeping the rain out of your boat.
Camp Topridge boathouse, Adirondacks, NY.
Camp Topridge was bought in 1920 and substantially expanded and renovated in 1923 by Marjorie Merriweather Post, founder of General Foods and the daughter of C. W. Post. Although considered by Post to be a “rustic retreat” it consisted of 68 buildings on 207 acres.
Camp Topridge boathouse, close up.
Boathouse at Camp Topridge, NY.
This is the new boathouse at Camp Topridge, built by the current owner.
Boathouse at the Knollwood Club, Lower Saranac Lake. Built in 1899-1900.
Kiwassa Guide Boat inside above boathouse.
The boathouse at Camp Sagamore is an original 1897 William Durant building. Durrant sold the camp to the Vanderbilts in 1901. The camp is now owned by New York State. www.greatcampsagamore.org
Boathouse at Camp Katia on Upper St. Regis Lake.
Adirondack ‘style’ boathouse on Lake Rabun in North Georgia. Two hours north of Atlanta, Lake Rabun, at an elevation of 1689 feet and with a surface area of 835 acres is a popular summer retreat.
Modern boathouses on Lake Burton in North Georgia coexist with more modest originals. Five lakes were created in 1915 in Rabun County by the damming of Tallulah Falls to provide electrical power.
In Scandanavia the boathouse is known as a Naust.
Inside of the above Naust.
Boathouses in Sunderland, Norway.
Boats in a naust in Norway.
Possibly being pulled by a tug!