Stunning statistics about what Americans eat.
What Are We Eating? What the Average (U.S.) American Consumes in a Year
Who Is The Average American?
- The average American is 36.6 years old and eats 1,996.3 lbs. of food per year.
- The average man is 5’9” and weighs 190 lbs.
- The average woman is 5’4” and weighs 164 lbs.
How Much Meat And Other Animal Products Does The Average American Eat?
- Each year, Americans eat 85.5 lbs. of fats and oils
- 110 lbs. of red meat, including 62.4 lbs. of beef and 46.5 lbs. of pork
- 73.6 lbs. of poultry, including 60.4 lbs. of chicken
- 16.1 lbs. of fish and shellfish and 32.7 lbs. of eggs
- 31.4 lbs. of cheese each year and 600.5 lbs. of non-cheese dairy products
- 181 lbs. of beverage milks
Other Staples Americans Love
- 192.3 lbs. of flour and cereal products, including 134.1 lbs. of wheat flour
- 141.6 lbs. of caloric sweeteners, including 42 lbs. of corn syrup
- 56 lbs. of corn each year and eat 415.4 lbs. of vegetables
- 24 lbs. of coffee, cocoa and nuts
- 273.2 lbs. of fruit each year
Source: Visual Economics
What Else Are Americans Eating?
- 29 lbs. of French fries
- 23 lbs. of pizza
- 24 lbs. of ice cream
- 53 gallons of soda each year, averaging about one gallon each week!
- 2.736 lbs. of sodium, which is 47 % more than recommended
- 0.2 lbs. of caffeine each year, about 90,700 mg
From Visual Economics: www.visualeconomics.com