Sometimes after a long day of work, the last thing you want to do is start cooking a meal from scratch. I love to cook, but there are evenings where I just can’t face standing at the cutting board prepping a meal. Rather than setting yourself up to give in and order take-out, why not do some weekend meal prep and start the week out right?
Jeannie covered easy vegan lunch ideas you can prep in advance, and the same mindset can help make weeknight dinners a breeze! Here are some of my favorite dishes to whip up over the weekend.
- Casseroles. Whether you’re talking lasagna or a veggie shepherd’s pie, these are easy to reheat and can last for a few meals if you pair them with an easy salad.
- Salad. Chop up greens and veggies into individual containers. Top with canned beans, cooked or uncooked tofu, diced potato, nuts…anything you’ve got on hand can help turn a simple salad into a full meal!
- Roasted Veggies. These are great on their own, but they’re also very versatile! You can simmer roasted veggies in broth for a quick, weeknight soup, use them as a salad topping, or layer them into a sandwich.
- Burritos. You can make a big batch of burritos in advance, freeze them up, then reheat whenever you like.
- Soup and stew. If you prepare a big batch of soup or stew, you can refrigerate or freeze in individual serving-sized containers. That way, you can just heat what you need. If you’re storing your food in plastic, put it into a ceramic or glass bowl before microwaving, since heat can make plastic leach into the food.
- Dips and spreads. Whip up a batch of your favorite dip (hummus, anyone?) for an easy side dish. You can dip chips or veggies or use the spread in a fresh- or roasted-veggie sandwich.
Do you guys have any make-ahead dinner suggestions? I’d love to hear your ideas in the comments!
Image Credit: Creative Commons photo by Sharyn Morrow