Here are two more vegetarian or vegan dishes and a drink you can bring to a barbecue to go with the homemade vegan black bean burgers and herbal butter we wrote about yesterday.
Especially if you are an apple or mushroom lover, these dishes might strike your fancy.
As you probably already know, I live in Poland now. Poland is a leading apple-growing country and everywhere you go you can see apples for sale on the sidewalk. In addition to apple pie and apple sauce, apple chutney is a nice dish you can serve at a barbecue.
- 3 sour apples
- ½ tsp of grated ginger
- ½ tsp of curry
- half a glass (or 100ml) of apple juice
- 1 chilli pepper
- 1 onion
- 2 tablespoons of sugar
- Place sugar in the pot and heat it until it’s smooth. Add chopped onion, chili and grated ginger.
- Spice with curry and pour apple juice in.
- Add chopped apples and heat for a few minutes. Make sure not to overcook, so the chopped apples don’t melt away.
- Wait until the chutney is cold and it’s ready to serve. (If you’re not a fan of apples, you can replace them with peaches or bananas.)
Stuffed Button Mushrooms
Stuffed mushrooms is another great idea for a quick & easy barbecue dish. There are two great ways of serving them.
- Cut out the stems and get the gills out. Chop the stems, gills and an onion and fry them all on the frying pan. Add some cottage cheese, feta cheese or tofu and some spinach. Spice with salt, pepper and garlic. Spoon the mixture into the mushroom caps and sprinkle with a little bit of grated cheese (vegan or non) and chopped nuts. Then, grill them for several minutes and serve.
- Cut out the stems and get the gills out. As above, chop the stems, gills and an onion and fry them all on a frying pan. Then, add to cooked lentils. Add some chopped tomatoes and tomato sauce as well. Spice with salt, pepper and basil. Spoon the mixture into the mushroom caps and grill.
Honey, Mint & Lemon Drink
Here is a nice drink to bring to the barbecue as well. All you need is honey, lemon juice and mint leaves. For two cups of hot water, add 2 to 4 tablespoons of honey, mint leaves and lemon juice. (The amount of honey and lemon juice depends on how sweet you want your drink to be). Let this cool in the refrigerator for a couple hours or leave out and just add some ice cubes.
If you thought barbecues weren’t for vegetarians or vegans, now you can see otherwise. Enjoy these ideas and have fun in this nice spring weather.
Image Credit: evilmidori via flickr/CC license