Make your own healthy Vegan Chinese Food! In the mood for something Asian but don’t want to risk ordering in a gloppy, full of fat mess from your local take out place? Try cooking up this super easy Very Veggie Pineapple “Fried” Rice recipe instead. Satisfy your cravings in a healthy way and your body and mind will thank you.
Very Veggie Pineapple “Fried” Rice
Prep Time: 20 min
Cook Time: 50 min
Yields: 4-6 servings
1 ½ cups uncooked Brown Rice
1 cup fresh Pineapple-cubed
1 cup Asparagus tips
½ a medium Vidalia Onion-sliced
2 cups Broccoli florets
½ cup of frozen Peas-thawed
2 buds of Bok Choy
1 cup Napa Cabbage-chopped
½ cup Carrot-cubed
½ cup raw unsalted Cashews
5-6 Fresh Basil Leaves-chopped
1 tablespoon fresh Ginger-Minced
1 tablespoon Olive Oil
3 tablespoons Sesame Oil
5 tablespoons low sodium Tamari
1 teaspoon Agave Nectar
½ teaspoon Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
1) Fill a pot that has a tight fitting lid with rice and 3 cups of water. Bring to boil, cover and simmer over a low heat for 40-50 minutes.
2) In a large wok, heat olive oil. Sauté broccoli and carrots over medium-high heat for about 5 minutes until they begin to soften, stirring occasionally.
3) Add onion and bok choy and continue to sauté for another 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4) Add cabbage, peas, asparagus, ginger and 2 tablespoons of tamari and sauté on high heat for an additional 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
5) Add pineapple and cashews and sauté for anther 3-5 minutes or until all veggies are heated through.
6) Lower heat and add cooked rice, basil, red pepper flakes, sesame oil, additional 3 tablespoons of tamari and agave. Toss to combine and allow flavors to marry over low heat for 1-2 minutes before serving.
Photo Credit: Pink Fish 13 at Flickr for Creative Commons