October is Fair Trade Month and to celebrate, Fair Trade USA has released the Fair Trade Finder app. It’s free and easy to use.
In addition, the folks at Fair Trade USA have sent along a goodie bag full of Fair Trade items for one lucky reader.
What Is Fair Trade?
The main purpose of Fair Trade is to make sure that farmers, artisans, and workers are paid fairly for the work they do. Disadvantaged communities are taught how to use the free market to their advantage.
Any product could be a Fair Trade product, if the people who produce it receive a fair wage for it. The most well-known Fair Trade products are coffee, tea, and chocolate, but clothing, ingredients in lotions and soaps, honey, flowers, and many other things are also being produced in a social and environmentally sustainable manner.
Fair Trade Finder App
Finding Fair Trade goods can be a challenge. The Fair Trade Finder app is a crowd-sourced app for iPhones, iPods, iPads, and Androids. Whenever you run across a Fair Trade good or one made with Fair Trade ingredients, just enter it into the Fair Trade Finder for others to see.
Goodie Bag Giveaway
In the spirit of the month, Fair Trade USA has sent me a goodie bag full of Fair Trade products to give away to one lucky reader. The bag contains chocolate, tea, mints, and other goodies.
To enter, just do one or all of the following things and be sure to put each in a separate comment.
- Like Eat Drink Better on Facebook and post a comment below letting us know.
- Tweet about the giveaway and post a comment below letting us know.
- Share on Facebook about the giveaway and post a comment below letting us know.
- Share on Google Plus about the giveaway and post a comment below letting us know.
- Download the Fair Trade Finder app and post a comment below letting us know.
- Tell us about your favorite Fair Trade product.
Entries are open until Wednesday, October 26 at 10 p.m. Eastern. One comment will be chosen at random and the winner will be announced on Thursday, October 27.
Image by jetalone, used with Creative Commons license.